May 13, 2021

NDP continues to fight for seniors and to make sure they aren’t left behind by the Liberals

After being left out of the Liberal budget, the NDP want to reassure Canadian seniors that unlike the Liberals, New Democrats will keep fighting for them and make sure they are not forgotten.

"Last month’s budget left out seniors under 75, without any clear reasoning. Many people between the ages of 65 and 75 have no savings for retirement, which particularly impacts women” said MP Leah Gazan (Winnipeg Centre). “We need to make sure that seniors have what they need to retire in dignity in this country"

In the last election, the Liberal government promised an increase in the OAS and finally announced their intention to implement it in Budget 2021 and through Bill C-30. However, the changes they are proposing apply only to some seniors and leaves out others. Those who qualify for OAS will receive a one-time payment of $500 in August 2021, but only for those who will be 75 or over as of June 2022, and starting in July of 2022, the regular OAS amount will increase by 10% going forward, but again, this is only for those who are 75 or older.

For over a year, New Democrats have requested that all seniors receive additional financial support during the COVID-19 pandemic, but the government continues to refuse to help. Instead, the Liberals are trying to pass off this one-time payment that will only go to seniors 75 and older as sufficient.

“This government is creating a two-tiered system that leaves far too many seniors behind and will force far too many seniors into poverty,” said MP Niki Ashton (Churchill – Keewatinook Aski). “In a time where we're all supposed to be in this together, this government has once again shown that seniors don't matter to them.”

Share this page

Bill C-232
Constituent Resources
Attend an Event

Sign up for updates

Connect with Leah