November 15-19, 2021
Dodie Jordaan and Katarina Kupca, Ka Ni Kanichihk
- I had an important meeting with Kat and Dodie from Ka Ni Kanichihk to discuss their expansion project and how I can continue to support their work.
Rachel Sansregret, Winnipeg Indigenous Friendship Centre Inc.
- Rachel and I met to discuss the exciting future of the Friendship Centre in Winnipeg and the work being done to revive such a critical space.
Cee Straus and Pam Hrick, LEAF: Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund
- LEAF recently released two companion reports on basic income from an intersectional feminist lens, Basic Income, Gender & Disability, and Basic Income & The Care Economy. We had an interesting and helpful conversation about the two reports.
West End Biz AGM
- I attended the virtual West End Biz AGM to hear about their work over the last year and more about the West End Economic Conditions Report.
Marie Christian (Director of Voices MB) and Dr. Melanie Doucet (Senior Researcher and Project Manager Child Welfare League of Canada) and Tanya Ironstone Locke (ED Child Welfare League of Canada), National Youth in Care Advocates
- I had the chance to meet and discuss the National Youth in Care Advocate’s report on equitable standards for the transition to adulthood for youth in care. The report called for basic income!
Women’s Health Clinic
- Uzoma Asagwara (MLA, Union Station) and I met with the Women’s Health Clinic for a very productive meeting about current programming and future projects.
Muhiadin Omar (Executive Director) and Anteneh Abraha, Bilal Community & Family Centre
- I heard from Bilal Community & Family Centre about their current and future programming supporting children & youth.
Abdikheir Ahmed (Executive Director), Aurora Family Therapy Centre
- I had the chance to talk with my friend Abdikheir Ahmed about the interconnections between housing & mental health for newcomers and other Manitobans.
West Broadway Tenants Committee
- I met with members of the West Broadway Tenants Committee to discuss grassroots organizing around Portage Place, and current tenant organizing happening in West Broadway and downtown.
Vivienne Ho and Alaya McIvor Celebration
- I attended an in-person celebration of Vivienne Ho and Alaya McIvor, who both recently received the Manitoba 150 award. They are both a gift to our powerful community, and always stand up for social justice and human rights for all!